CALTRANS TRAVEL ADVISORY
HIGH WINDS/ROAD CLOSURES/CHAIN CONTROLS
EASTERN KERN, INYO AND MONO COUNTIES — The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) would like to notify the public of very high winds and chain controls while traveling throughout the area.
High wind advisories and closures due to very high winds;
- U.S. Hwy 395 San Bernardino County/ Kern County line to Bishop
- State Route 58 San Bernardino County/ Kern County line to 15 miles west of Tehachapi
- CLOSED Exit 167 on SR58 and Business SR 58N to Cal City
- State Route 14 From Los Angeles/Kern County Line to Junction U.S. Hwy 395
R1 Chain controls in the following areas (see Chain Requirements below);
- U.S. Hwy 395 1 mile north of SR 203 (Mammoth Lakes) to 2 miles south of SR 158S
- State Route 203 Forest Trail Road to the Mammoth Mountain Inn
The following passes/routes currently remain closed for the winter;
- State Route 120 (Tioga Pass)
- State Route 108 (Sonora Pass)
- State Route 168 W (Bishop Creek)
- State Route 203 (at Red’s Meadow)
Pass/route currently closed, subject to reopen based on conditions;
- State Route 89 (Monitor Pass) from the junction at U.S. Hwy 395 to the Alpine/ Mono County Line due to snow
- R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.
- R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
- R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
- R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.
Before, during and after storms, Caltrans, along with other agencies are out on the roads, working to keep the traveling public safe. Debris, snow and sand, blown by winds can pose a significant threat on the roadway. The traveling public is advised to drastically slow down and proceed with caution. Be mindful of Caltrans crews, and that of other responders working in the area. Inattentiveness on the road can have tragic consequences.
Visit http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wo.htm for winter driving tips to keep you, your family and others safe during holiday travel.