BISHOP UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Released 14 August 2017
News Release Back to School Safety Tips
Are you ready for the school year to begin? Even if you don’t have children in school, the Bishop Police Department and the schools are asking you to drive safely because the kids will be back in session starting on Thursday, August 17th.
Parents are encouraged to take time to talk with their children about safety before school starts. Whether they walk, ride the bus or travel by car, teach your kids these tips to ensure they get to and from school safely.
• Pay attention. Distracted drivers endanger lives. Cell phone use while driving is against the law. Parents in a rush to drop off children at school are often the most common violators of School Zone speed laws.
Tips for car drivers:
• Everyone in the car should wear a seat-belt. Make sure babies and young children are in safety seats at all times, and that safety seats have been properly installed.
• Remind teenagers to take extra precautions if they are driving to school or riding with another teenage driver.
• We encourage students within walking distance to follow stop signs and other traffic directions and pay attention to the directions of the Crossing Guards.
Tips for pedestrians:
• Never walk alone—always travel with a buddy and do not stop to talk with people you don’t know.
• Walk, don’t run. Never run across streets or crosswalks.
• Pay attention to the locations of the Crossing Guards and tell them if you need help.
• Small children should know and be able to recite their name, address and phone number as well as the names of their parent(s). Parents should insure that school records accurately reflect current contact information.
• Following these precautions can help us all get the new school year off to a safe and happy start.
During this time, officers will conduct high-visibility traffic enforcement in and around school zones for all traffic violations, particularly speeding and cell phone violations, as well as failing to follow instructions of the Crossing Guards.
For more information contact the Bishop Police Department at 760-873- 5823.